No, this article isn’t about the 10 strange ways that writers interact with cats. But it could be. Anyway… writers often do weird things for no apparent reason, but they wouldn’t have it any other way. So here are the 10 weird things writers often/sometimes/always do:
1. Frequent cafés with their laptop or notebook ‘to write’. Yes, of course you’re writing
2. Use twitter to ask a celebrity if they want to be in the movie adaption of their book and then watch the screen for a response
3. Blog about the writing process and how hard it is to get a publisher
4. Hide chocolate in hard to reach places around the house – and then go out of their way to retrieve said chocolate
5. Attempt to tell others that in actual fact, they don’t like coffee. You can try, you can try
6. Tell everyone that they’re writing a novel
7. Run in the other direction when someone asks how that novel is going
8. Set aside entire weekends to write, and instead end up cleaning the house, twice
9. Own a cat or 20 because they’re not distracting at all to the writing process
10. Zone out in mid-conversation, many times, especially when in the middle of killing off a character. How should I kill them? Will it be a heroic death?
Writers are such uniquely odd creatures; they really do need their own Game of Thrones House. Oh hang on, found it!